Monday, October 3, 2011

Book Review: Waking Hours

I just finished reading the first book in Lis Wiehl’s new East Salem series. Yay, Lis! I’ve read and enjoyed all three books of her other series, but with those I had some concerns. For this series, Wiehl has a new co-author, Pete Nelson. Perhaps that made all the difference. Or maybe Wiehl started this new series in order to take her stories in a different direction. Either way, I really liked this book.

Waking Hours is a supernatural thriller/mystery. When a gruesome murder takes places in East Salem, New York, forensic psychiatrist Dani Harris is called to assist the DA. Tommy Gunderson, an old friend from high school, formerly a pro-football player, now studying to become a private detective, is also drawn into the case when one of the teenage boys he mentors is called in for questioning.

Dani invites Tommy to be her assistant and the two go to work together in an X-Files kind of way. Tommy is a growing Christian who suspects there’s a spiritual battle going on, not just a physical crime. Dani is all science. If you can’t see it and prove it, it shouldn’t be a concern.

Because of the gruesome nature of the murder and supernatural elements introduced at the beginning of the book, I at first thought, I’d walked into a horror story. But it doesn’t go that direction. The supernatural element is almost a side story—and will be continued in the next book. The mystery itself gets solved satisfactorily within the human realm.

I’m happy to recommend Waking Hours to you and will be watching for the next book in the East Salem series! Thank you, Thomas Nelson Publishers, for sending a complimentary copy of this book for my honest review.
BlogSign

1 comment:

keri said...

Great review. I agree--fantastic book. Lis Wiehl and Pete Nelson are a winning team when it comes to writing suspense! I really enjoyed reading this book, even though it was somewhat creepy. It was a great reminder that evil does exist in this world, and is actively seeking to destroy what is good. I loved the main character, Dani, and genuinely felt scared for her when weird stuff would happen. All of the characters were very well developed and realistic because they didn’t always do what you’d expect. I also loved the little romance part of the book.

Post a Comment