Friday, October 21, 2011

Finished and Moving Forward

“I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.” –2 Timothy 4:7

I did it! I did it! I’m no Julie of Julie & Julia fixing a whole cookbook’s worth of recipes in a year, but I tried 15 new recipes in 14 months, using all of the spices in my “new” spice rack (except for Herbs Provence which has Lavender in it and, therefore, may be toxic to me).

I did not post all of these recipes. The Fennel recipe, for example, was a disaster! World’s Best Spaghetti Sauce? It was totally misnamed. I spared you the trauma.

But my Coriander Seed recipe was a hit—and was lots of fun to make! I got to use two often neglected kitchen appliances and made a total mess of my kitchen. That doesn’t usually happen ‘xept ‘round Christmas time when I bake and frost Christmas cookies.

“Which appliances?” you ask. I used the food processor to shred the zucchini and the blender to grind the Coriander Seed. (Yes, blenders make great Coriander Seed grinders. They work well on coffee, too!)

And what did I make with these ingredients plus a few more? Five Spice Muffins. Click here for the recipe I found at allrecipes.com. I made mine without the cloves. Somehow the texture of the zucchini mixed with sunflower seeds gives the muffins a slight peanut buttery taste.

“See, the former things have taken place, and new things I declare; before they spring into being I announce them to you.” –Isaiah 42:9

So I've finished my New Spice Rack Recipe project. Does that mean the cooking stops? No! It’s time for a new thing! Blogging about my recipe project motivated me to continue on, to keep looking for recipes that used my spices. Now I want to motivate myself to use some recipes I’ve been collecting for fun.

Kraftfoods.com sends me recipes by e-mail. When I see one I like, I click on it to add it to my virtual recipe box. Then I forget all about it and it never gets tried. It’s time for me to use these recipes. I’ve collected more than 50 so far! Making each will be my new cooking project. (These recipes are simple and fun. Kraft never sends me off in search of rabid horses!)

Just as my brother's gift led me to a cooking project, Christ leads those who walk closely with Him to ministry opportunities. When we faithfully complete one task, He will lead us to another. It’s our job, though, to keep our eyes open, to be aware. We walk closely along with Jesus, watching to see what needs to be done where we are.

Paul learned and modeled this lesson. He traveled the world telling people about Jesus, but then he was arrested and confined. He could have said, “I guess I’m done.” But he didn’t. Instead he wrote, and we read his words as many generations have done. His work from prison may have been his most far-reaching—and yet, he never left his cell.

For as long as we’re living, we’ve got work to do. The race, as Paul described it, isn’t finished until Jesus takes us home.

Lord, thank You for showing this girl who doesn’t care for cooking that trying new recipes can actually be fun. And thank You for an abundance of recipes that the adventure can continue, though the project is done. Help me to remember how this applies to ministry, to service, to my daily walk with You. As we walk together, open my eyes to see what You’d like me to do. Find me faithful—and diligent. I live to serve You. Thank You for using me—however! Amen.
BlogSign

Disclaimer: Neither allrecipes.com nor kraftfoods.com nor anyone else gave me anything in exchange for a mention in this post. I'm just giving credit where credit is due.

6 comments:

Leah said...

I can't stand fennel! I'm impressed by anyone who has the courage to eat anything made with it!

diane said...

Congratulations! So will it be 50 new recipes in 50 weeks, now? ;)

I save any on-line recipes I like to evernote in a "recipe" folder. I've become more picky at what I keep, as there is only so much time and I'm usually cooking for one. Still, I adore cookbooks and love to try new things...usually on guests!

We are indeed called to continue working, putting one foot in front of the other, doing whatever the Lord calls us to. A good reminder to perservere!

diane @ ginosko, visiting from company girls

A Renaissance Woman said...

Cassandra here, dropping by to say Hello from Company Girls. I'm not Julia or Julie either (didn't you just love that movie!) but I love to cook and try new things. These muffins sound great. I'm going to try them. And thanks for sharing the prayer at the end. It really spoke to my heart. Have a good weekend!

Katharine said...

Oh I loved Julie & Julia! How fun to try your recipes that way...will you do 50 weeks? It sounds wonderful!
Have a great weekend!

joyceandnorm said...

Love this post! We love trying new recipes...never enough time or days...=p Because of that, there isn't one or two dishes that I'm really good at making. So much fun, even those that don't turn out well. I love your connection with ministry opportunities. So true!

Enjoy your weekend...and new cooking projects! =)

Michelle said...

That sounds like an interesting project. Hope your new adventure is as fun.

Post a Comment